Ramadan is the month in which we all come closer to God, it is a time to be thankful to God for all the blessings he has bestowed upon us. It is also a month to look out towards others less fortunate than us and open our hearts to their problems. As Muslims we are duty bound to help anyone in need to the best of our ability, especially in Ramadan people all around the world step up and help others as much as they can.
This is an Appeal of help for those in Pakistan suffering from the worst natural disaster in history. What was till today described as the worst floods in Pakistan’s history has now been termed as the biggest disaster ever to strike the country. Worse than the Earthquake in the subcontinent as well as worse than the tsunami that hit the region a couple years back. The floods that have submerged most of Pakistan have been the cause of over 1600 deaths, as well as the displacement of 18 million people who have lost almost everything.
Please Donate to this cause this Ramadan and help these poor people who have lost everything, following is a list of some reliable charities you can donate to.
Besides sending cash through the organizations listed below, you can support by providing following commodities (please do not donate old/expired stuff. Make sure edible items are hygienic and properly packed):
* Clothing: Clothes of various sizes, Bedding, Shoes
* Utensils: Jerricans (large plastic cans that hold 20 liters of water or other liquids), Crockery, Buckets
* Toiletries: Tissues, Soaps, Dettol (antibacterial cleaners), Towels
* Food: Rice, Sugar, Flour (Atta), Onions, Potatoes, Cooking oil, Tea, Milk (tetra packs or powder), Safe drinking water, Cooked Food
1. Water purification tablets.
2. Life saving drugs.
3. Vaccines for malaria, cholera, typhoid, influenza.
4. Pain killers including strong ones like morphine derivatives, tremadol, pethadine, kinz .
5. Antibiotics e.g. tetnus, amoxil, gentamycin.
6. IV cannulas
7. IV Drip sets
8. IV drips: normal saline, ringerlactate
9. Local anesthetics (injections)
10. Cotton bandages, cotton.
11. Surgical instruments: e.g needle holders, forceps, tweezers.
12. Suturing materials, Skin staples.
- Edhi Foundation: Donate here
- Omar Asghar Khan Development Foundation
Title of Account: Omar Asghar Khan Development Foundation
Account #: 0030445261000455
Name of Bank: MCB Bank (1028), Super Market, Islamabad-Pakistan
Swift Code: MUCBPKKAMCC
Tax Exemption: 6043/ATD/2008-09
- SUNGI: Donate here
- Pakistan Red Crescent Society (offices in Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar, Quetta and Muzaffarabad.
- Pakistani Youth (facebook group)
- Rescue & Relief Work ( Flood Survival)An independent group of students (facebook group)
- The Volunteers/ Voice of the Civil Society: VOTCS – a registered (No. DSW 3369-K) welfare organization in Pakistan, operating as a Non-Profit, Public Charity in the North America, Inc. – 501(C)(3) Organization(Tax Exempted). Sending provisions to affectees with the help of Pakistan Army. For more info call: Hadia khan @ +92-3018245999 Sadia Haroon @ +92-3218251122 Irum Farooque @ +92-3002332142. (For donations: HABIB BANK LIMITED ACCOUNT NO: 1549-79001393-03)
- RONAQ-E-QAINAAT – Young doctors are in the process of arranging a series of free medical camps in the flood affected areas. First Camp is at Nowshera. Please Contact Ms. Alina Akhyar at email@example.com, to email you the Trust’s past activities, bank account details and other queries. They have reportedly done some pretty impressive work. (Account number: 00400101065364, account title: Khadija Nadeem; Askari Bank Chaklala Scheme 3 branch Rawalpindi). Khadija is the founding member, handling all donations.
International Charity Organizations:
- UNHCR: Donate here. You can also mail your donations to UNHCR:
- UNHCR - UNHCR Canada
- UNICEF USA- Donate here
- United Nation’s World Food Programme: Donations are tax deductible for number of countries. Donate here
- Plan International ( Pakistan specific) donate here
- International Medical Corps
- IRC (The International Rescue Committee): donate here: http://www.theirc.org/news/irc-team-responds-devastating-floods-pakistan