Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Whispered Prayer of the Thankful

My God,
my thanksgiving is small
before Thy great boons,
and my praise and news-spreading shrink
beside Thy generosity toward me!
Thy favours have wrapped me
in the robes of the lights of faith,
and the gentlenesses of Thy goodness have let down over me
delicate curtains of might!
Thy kindnesses
have collared me with collars not to be moved
and adorned me with neck-rings not to be broken!
Thy boons are abundant -
my tongue is too weak to count them!
Thy favours are many -
my understanding falls short of grasping them,
not to speak of exhausting them!
So how can I achieve thanksgiving?
For my thanking Thee requires thanksgiving.
Whenever I say, 'To Thee belongs praise!',
it becomes thereby incumbent upon me to say,
'To Thee belongs praise'!

*This is Part 2 of "The Whispered Prayer of the Thankful"- The Psalms of Islam
I'll Post the Third and last part in a couple of days.

5 comments:

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

I love these prayers. They are beautiful! Keep 'em coming

Destitute Rebel said...

thanks, I don't have much to write about these days so figured might as well share these. These prayers remind us that there is so much to be thankful for that we take forgranted, we complain for what we dont have but seldom thank God for what we have.

* said...

I was thinking with the advent of ramadan we ought to get together and do some postings on ramadan.
our cultures, our foods. Religious anecdotes, some hadiths. Share what we know, learn what we dont.
So many things that amongst us , and those who can contribute, will enlighten all.
We could do a seperate blog on that or stay between us. You, me, ClayF, S.Shaira, and anyone who would like to join.
what u say?

Destitute Rebel said...

Great Idea Kaya, Sure, I'm all for it, but I dont think i'll be much help at another blog, not very responsible that way, lots going on at my end but if we could decided what we can and want to do, I'd be happy to do my part. I think i'll drop by to see that rain of yours that you are so proud of. I'm sure its just some holes in the roof with one mallu brother dropping water on you village folk :-). And while im there I'll have the bangali Ras Malai that you mentioned.

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Great Idea Kaya! I'm on!